Zante Sights - Saint Markos Square - Holidays in Zakynthos
Saint Markos Square - Zakynthos Greece
St Markos square is named after a Church of the same name, which was founded in 1518 and has the distinction of being the only Catholic Church in Zakynthos. At one time the Church was a Cathedral for the Bishopric of Kefalonia and Zakynthos, however nowadays this Church is only open in the summer. The infamous earthquake of 1953 destroyed the Church and it was rebuilt - but on a smaller scale.
St Markos square played an important part in Zakynthian history, as it used to be the meeting place for people to discuss their ideas. In 1797 the Popolari burned the books of the nobility. A tree in the centre of the square is called 'The Tree of Freedom' and is in honor of when the Venetians lost their rule over the island, only to be replaced by the French.
The Solomos & Kalvos museum is located in the square and houses personal objects of some of the most famous Zakythians, such as Dionysios Solomos, Alexander Roma and others, as well as pieces from the Byzantine era.
Nowadays many cafes and restaurants line the square and it is a nice place to sit and have a refreshment while enjoying people walking by.